Recently, my Linksys E2000 decided it would no longer be the wireless access point I expected it to be and it had to be replaced. Thinking that maybe it just needed an update or to be reverted to the original firmware also did not solve the problem as it would just not allow any clients to access the network. No matter what I did, there was no way I could get this thing to work properly. It was time to replace it. After doing some reading and digging but ultimately taking the advice of my e-friend Mauro, I purchased an Aruba IAP-105.
The WRT54GL I pulled out of storage just wasn’t cutting it, throughput wise, even though Wireless G was pretty great some 14 years ago.
This is a nice little device and it feels like a well built unit. While handling it, the look and feel of this well crafted equipment feels like something that shouts at me “professional” or perhaps, “I was built to survive knuckle-dragger handler like you.”
Reset the router done by inserting a paperclip into the recessed hole when off and turning it on. Wait about 5 seconds for the LED indicators to flash and you are off to the races. Note that just pressing and holding the reset button does nothing when it is on.
The Access Point presented a login screen and I was unsuccessful in locating anywhere in the instruction manual the default username and password. It took a bit of digging but I was able to determine that the default username is admin and the password is also admin. I was sure to fix that default as it has been shown far too often that the defaults are left and a network is compromised.
Setting up the Access Point was so simple that it took me a bit to realize I had it set up properly with very minimal effort on my part. The effort was so minimal, I was convinced it wasn’t set up properly until I started to see the clients connect. It was amazingly easy.
Under the Network section, select New to enter a New WLAN. What is interesting here is that you have 3 options. Employee, Voice and Guest. None of which are exactly my use but home use is probably closer to “Employee” than Guest.
Next was the Client IP & VLAN Settings. In my case, I have no VLANs on my network. Maybe I should but at this time, I don’t see a need. For my purposes. I want the Client IP assignment taken care of my main DHCP server and since I don’t have a Virtual Controller, I went with the “Network Assigned” option as it seemed the most reasonable. The client VLAN assignment was left at “Default”.
The Security section was straight forward
Nothing to do with the Access section.
Once I completed it, I was a bit confused because I didn’t set the DHCP server or the DNS or anything. I wasn’t sure if I had missed something so I clicked around a while, only to discover that it took care of all of that for me.
The client info provided by the access point is very interesting. Graphs on the signal strength, connection speed and throughput of the connected devices is very interesting to see. Now, should I have issues with a client, I can look at the graphs and make a better understanding of what the issues may be. It could help me to choose a better location for the IAP in the future.
I do want to add a note that I am getting a warning that I only have 100 Mbit/s link speed on the ethernet. I am thinking this has something to do with the PoE I am using as my switch and everything connected to it is full 1 Gbit/s. A bit irritating but I will circle back on that eventually.
Once again, my network feel solid and strong. I am very happy with this purchase and buying it on eBay for about $20 made it all that much better of a purchase. The set up was far more simple than I expected and I am strongly considering getting another one so that I have access points on opposite ends of the house.
I am incredibly satisfied with this purchase. The network connection in my house is very strong and although I am slightly annoyed by the Ethernet speed, it’s probably my fault some how and I am going to work that out later.